Pompeo on ICC: U.S. won’t be threatened by ‘kangaroo court’
Pompeo: Washington’s position on ICC remains unchanged
Secretary of State said it would be a waste of time trying to investigate the US military
U.S. position on the International Criminal Court (ICC) remains unchanged, said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
Pompeo recalled that in April the ICC rejected a request from its prosecutor to launch an investigation into crimes against humanity and war crimes allegedly committed in Afghanistan. Some of the allegations concerned American military personnel. Subsequently, the ICC prosecutor asked the judges for permission to appeal certain aspects of this decision, and on 17 September the court partially granted the prosecutor’s motion. Last week, prosecutors filed an appeal against the April decision. However, while this decision remains in force.
The secretary of state said the United States remains committed to protecting its military personnel from “unreasonable” attempts to initiate an investigation. “The judges were right when they rejected the prosecutor’s outrageous request to investigate the US military on April 12, and in our view, the appeal process is meaningless. The United States is not a party to the Rome Statute of the ICC and has consistently voiced unequivocal opposition to any attempt to extend the jurisdiction of the ICC to US military personnel. Any ICC investigation into US military personnel would be unfounded and inappropriate, and any attempt by the ICC to open this case would be a waste of time and resources, ”Pompeo said in a statement..
The secretary added that the United States will take whatever steps are necessary to protect its sovereignty and its military personnel from unfair persecution by the ICC..
On March 15, Washington announced it would end the issuance of visas to ICC personnel responsible for investigating U.S. or Allied military personnel. “We will remain vigilant in applying this policy,” Pompeo warned.
Russian service &# 171; Voices of America&# 187;
I will follow